Contact Name: Jonathan Knight Blackbox-av is a provider of audiovisual interpretative products to the heritage and high street retail markets. What we Read more [...]
Supplier Category: Suppliers
Contact name: Nigel McDonald MA MAHI
Summary of services:
- I work with all kinds of clients in the heritage & wildlife sector.
- I am an experienced trainer in interpretation skills, & write interpretation plans for HLF & other projects, sites, attractions and exhibitions
- I also write copy for all kinds of interpretive media
I focus on how we communicate the value of special places, events and wildlife.
I work with heritage and wildlife site managers, museum curators, attraction, and visitor centre managers to create meaningful experiences and dialogues with their audiences. I may work with you to develop your messages, media, audiences, or other activities designed to support your purposes and values by engaging your audiences. I also work to evaluate the impact and success of these activities.
I specialise in writing interpretive plans - for sites, attractions, visitor centres, exhibitions and museums. I also manage interpretive delivery projects.
I have developed a suite of one day workshops for up to 15 people focusing on; interpretive planning, creating better panels and leaflets, leading 'golden' guided walks, producing self-guided trails, writing better interpretive copy and developing meaningful themes to engage your audiences. I have delivered these for a number of years to staff, trainees and volunteers for a number of trusts, charities, government and local authority clients. I am also happy to develop and provide bespoke training for you and your team.
I also write high quality, themed, audience focused, interpretive copy and scripts for a broad range of media, from exhibition panels to scripts for broadcast and live performance.
Past Projects and Clients
- Association for Heritage Interpretation – interpretive planning skills for a broad range of members
- Dehongli Cymru Interpret Wales
- Wildlife Trusts (for staff from Shropshire, Cheshire, Staffordshire, and others)
- Local Authorities (Shropshire, Powys, Herefordshire among others)
- Projects (Walking with Offa, Exploring Oldknow’s Legacy, Saltscape)
- Brecon Beacons National Park Authority
- Wye Valley AONB
- Clwydian Range and Dee Valley AONB
- Shropshire Hills AONB
- Crickhowell Walking Festival
- Caring for God’s Acre
- Community Groups
Successful interpretive planning projects for HLF Bids:
- Stiperstones & Corndon Landscape Partnership Scheme
- Isle of Wight Railway
- Mid Hants Railway (Watercress Line)
Other Interpretive plan examples:
- Llandwyn Island (Mentor Mon)
- Haughmond Hill (Forestry Commission England)
- The Roman Invasion of Wales (National Interpretation plan for Roman sites in Wales for Cadw)
- Offa’s Dyke Path National Trail (four individual plans covering the 177mile length of the National
- Trail plus an overarching strategy document).
- Caerphilly Castle for Families (Cadw)
- Laugharne Castle (Cadw)
Copywriting project examples:
- Shropshire Hills Metal Mines project
- Caerleon Roman Baths
- Laugharne Castle
- Llandwyn Island
- Pilgrims Trail (Nottinghamshire)
- Richard 111 audio trail
- Offa’s Dyke Path – panels and audio trails
- Moel Famau family geocaching trail
+ many other small projects