The AHI is looking for volunteers who would be interested in forming the editorial team to take forward our Association’s Journal which has continued to develop so successfully under the recent editorship of Eric Langham.
The journal is currently published twice a year with peak periods of activity for the editorial team being in mid February and mid September which has traditionally coincided with the deadlines for the submission of articles.
Each volunteer would contribute to the editorial management of the Journal with a specific focus on developing new content, themes and ideas for the journal. Beyond this, they would work as a team to: select and invite appropriate peers to submit articles; facilitate a simple peer-review process including assigning articles and other submissions to readers (where this is deemed to be necessary); review editorial decisions for adherence to policy in conjunction with the AHI Trustees; source potential partners to take advertising space and respond to author’s, the AHI Office any other general queries.
Responsibilities (as part of an Editorial team):
- Define and agree the format of the journal going forward, agreeing core themes for each issue and in so doing proactively encourage the submission of articles and other pieces of interest from peers in the profession;
- Work closely with the journal design and proof reading team to ensure that the journal is produced on time;
- Assess articles and other submissions for suitability for publication;
- Undertake a simple peer review process for articles and other submissions (where this is deemed to be necessary);
- Ensure initial submissions as well as any peer-review activity is undertaken in a timely manner to ensure that the journal’s turnaround time goals are met;
- Work closely with the Trustees, AHI web site and AHI News teams as well as the AHI Office to ensure a smooth and joined-up journey and seamless author experience which encourages future submissions;
- Respond effectively and within reasonable timelines to queries from potential peers about their articles and other submissions;
- Work closely with the profession to encourage and support the take-up of advertising space within the journal;
- Other duties may include, writing Editor’s Notes for highlighted articles as well as writing for the AHI News, website or social media / blog.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience:
- Ability to work independently to complete a specified and varied list of priorities with speed and accuracy, adhering to (sometimes competing) deadlines;
- Ability to follow instructions and adhere carefully to established procedures;
- Strong written communication skills, including accurate spelling and grammar;
- Capacity to make thoughtful decisions and use initiative but also tact when necessary with peers;
- Proficient computer skills (including MS Office, Outlook and internet browsers);
- A positive, can-do approach to problem-solving;
- An interest in publishing and a sound knowledge / interest in interpretation in general, knowledge of editorial process and related matters is also desirable.
This is a voluntary role and we are always looking for more people to join the team. Expressions of interest together with an example of work may be sent to the AHI Office at email@example.com
Alternatively please contact Dr Philip Ryland (AHI Trustee) for a preliminary chat at firstname.lastname@example.org or ring him at work on 01202 – 965468.