The biennial AHI Awards scheme recognises and rewards the best practice in heritage interpretation across the UK and Ireland, and are the only awards to recognise excellence in all types and sizes of heritage interpretation, whether held in museums, historic buildings, visitor centres or any type of outdoor location. The awards...
- celebrate heritage interpretation in all its forms
- are a prestigious badge of recognition for winning and shortlisted entries
- share, encourage and showcase good interpretive practice and the organisations responsible for it
- publicise good interpretive practice and the organisations responsible for it through the media
- provide interpretive evaluation to shortlisted entrants
Award Shortlist 2019
The Association for Heritage Interpretation is delighted to announce the shortlist for the AHI 2019 Discover Heritage Awards – for excellence in cultural and natural heritage interpretation in Britain and Ireland – sponsored by NovaDura.
Another strong entry field once again made short-listing an exceptionally difficult process for the Judging Panel. The 2019 entries were notable for the number of excellent entries from museums and historic buildings – which resulted in an unprecedented total of 6 projects being shortlisted in this category. Shortlisted projects will be visited by a pair of Site Judges over the summer. Recognised projects are those that did not quite make the shortlist, but the Judging Panel wished to recognise the quality of one element or more of the project.
Museums and Historic Properties/Sites, sponsored by Minerva Heritage.
- Creu Hanes - Making History, St. Fagans National Museum of History, Cardiff - St. Fagans National Museum of History
- Dunfermline Museum - Fife Cultural Trust
- Museum ExplorAR Experience, Amgueddfa Cymru National Museum Wales, Cardiff - Amgueddfa Cymru National Museum Wales
- Project Pilgrim Visitor Experience and Interpretation, Gloucester Cathedral, Gloucester - Gloucester Cathedral
- Shire Hall Historic Courthouse Museum, Dorchester - Shire Hall Historic Courthouse Museum
Whitby Abbey Site Improvement and Re-interpretation project, Whitby Abbey - – English Heritage
Multimedia Guide (MMG) for Chatsworth, Chatsworth House, Derbyshire - Chatsworth
Outdoors – Urban and Rural, sponsored by The Way Design.
- Coniston Copper, Coniston Copper Mines, Cumbria – Lake District National Park Authority
- Rediscovering Walmer Pleasure Grounds, Walmer Castle, Deal – English Heritage
Echoscape: Sounds and memories of Maiden Castle, Maiden Castle, Dorset - – English Heritage
Visitor / Interpretation Centres, sponsored by HDC International.
- The Engine Shed – Scotland’s Building Conservation Centre, Stirling - Historic Environment Scotland
- International Bomber Command Centre, Lincoln - Lincolnshire Bomber Command Memorial Trust
Volunteer and Community Projects, sponsored by Bright 3d.
- Future Thinking for Lochbroom’s Past – Ullapool Museum Redisplay Project - Ullapool Museum
- Some Alnwick Heritage Heroes - Alnwick Civic Society
- Neolithic Longhouse, La Hougue Bie Museum, Jersey – Jersey Heritage
Events and Activities, sponsored by StudioLR.
- Performance of Roseliska at Portchester Castle recreated theatre, Portchester Castle – English Heritage
- Spotlight on Mary, Craigmillar Castle, Edinburgh - Historic Environment Scotland
Hadrian’s Cavalry, Hadrian’s Wall - Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Winners from 2017
We are delighted to announce the results of the AHI 2017 Discover Heritage Awards – for excellence in cultural and natural heritage interpretation in Britain and Ireland. Congratulations to all recipients of an award - winners, runners up and commended entries.
The AHI Discover Heritage Awards 2017 are sponsored by Wessex Archaeology.
The AHI 2019 Awards are now closed. They will:
a) recognise all types of heritage interpretation.
b) be judged by interpreters.
If you would like to express interest in sponsorship or nomination or just learn more about the AHI awards please contact us at email@example.com.