The professional network for heritage interpreters
Working to interpret natural & cultural heritage
Pilgrim Visitor Experience and Interpretation
AHI believes that interpretation enriches our lives through engaging emotions, enhancing experiences and deepening understanding of places, people, events and objects from the past and present.
AHI aims to promote excellence in the practice and provision of interpretation and to gain wider recognition of interpretation as a professional activity.
Join AHI and each year you will receive:
- regular e-news with industry updates, notice of jobs/contracts and training opportunities,
- two interpretation journals featuring the latest developments in interpretation,
- discounts on events and conferences,
- access to webinars and best practice guidelines in the professional development section of the website,
- option to advertise in our Supplier Directory.
Reignite - AHI Virtual Conference 2020
Reignite - New opportunities for interpretation following unprecedented times
2020 has been the year nobody predicted, from COVID-19 to Black Lives Matter and Extinction Rebellion.
This is the year everything changed.
How can interpreters reignite, evolve and thrive in this new world? What are the questions we need to ask and to answer?
Reignite – our special virtual conference will be packed with illuminating speakers and lots of opportunities to be involved and have discussions on the key issues of this year
Latest industry insight and news
Available in full to members
Museum Explorer AR Experience
Amgueddfa Cymru National Museum Wales, Cardiff
AHI Discover Heritage Awards
Every two years we run awards that:
- celebrate heritage interpretation in all its forms
- are a prestigious badge of recognition for winning and shortlisted entries
- share, encourage and showcase good interpretive practice and the organisations responsible for it within the profession and related professions
- publicise good interpretive practice and the organisations responsible for it through the media
- provide interpretive evaluation to shortlisted entrants
Creu Hanes- Making History
St Fagans National Museum of History, Cardiff
Find your local supplier
Looking for someone to work on an interpretation project? Our on line directory is a great place to start, listing services supplied by many of our members.
Members can purchase their own business listing. Download application form.
Professional Development & Training
One Day Events
Join AHI and get discounts on our one-day events, which are a great opportunity to showcase innovative work and develop your skills. Please contact us if you have an idea for an event, or would like to host one.
The relaxed approach to the event made it highly enjoyable and created a space where open dialogue could occur – there was no fear about asking questions.
Access to Resources
Membership Professional Development Downloads
Professional Development Resource Downloads
Membership entitles you to download our online resources. These include AHI's own best practice guidelines which cover a variety of interpretative practice. Your membership includes all previously published works and any guidelines published during your membership.